Thursday, January 17, 2008

Potty Training Stress

Ok, I realized potty training was not going to be easy but I never realized that deciding whether or not to start potty training would be such a momentous decision. There is WAY too much information out there and far too many opinions. Some (like my Mother) say Ryan should be potty-trained by now while others (like my pediatrician) say wait until 3. I mean, I must admit, I am DREADING it but beyond that, I apparently could do serious mental damage to the child by starting too early. I really don't want to pay for therapy later in life due to potty issues. So I've read articles and books and there are just too many choices. Should I potty train in one day (there are a heap of books with this method) or draw it out slowly? Do I buy a Potty Scotty or would that freak him out like it would me? (I mean, have you seen Potty Scotty, there is something Chucky-esqe about him) Do I throw cheerios in the toilet or let him sit and bribe him with M m M's (which seems a bit unsanitary)? Do I put a little potty out (YUCK) or put a trainer on our toilet seat? I could throw "potty parties" but I haven't totally lost my dignity yet. And how the hell do you keep him off the nasty public toilets? I mean, I don't even sit on those things, do I want my developing son to sit on a potential virus/germ/I don't even know what kind of things can be on there portable? So, and I know this is riveting stuff, I bought the no-cry solution to potty training book. No-cry sounds good, right? I don't know, I haven't read it yet BUT I did take the "readiness quiz" tonight. (Side note: while I think Bryce must feel that the level of stress potty training is causing me is a bit ridiculous, he was sweet enough to stay up well past his bedtime and take the quiz with me). Anyway, the "readiness quiz" was very helpful. It said I could either potty train now or wait and just introduce the potty slowly. No kidding! I realize those are my choices. Actually, they forgot one. I could completely ignore the fact he needs to be potty-trained and let him be the only 13-year-old in diapers. I am pretty sure Depends will fit him once he's out of his size 6's. Half-kidding aside, he pretty much had most of the qualifiers for readiness except that he doesn't mind dirty or wet diapers and he can't pull his pants up or down. I don't know about you but I think those might be better mastered before beginning?! Any-hoo, for those of you without kids in, just before or just after the potty-training stage, this is dreadfully boring and I apologize. For any of you with kids in the aforementioned stages, you get it. And you are sitting there wondering if you did or will do any mental damage.....

3 comments:

Andrea Wedewer said...

I feel your pain, girl! Tommy won't go on the toilet to save his life...beginning to wonder if it will ever happen! He's like Ryan when it comes to not caring about the wet/dirty pants. I hear it is much easier as they approach the age of 3, so I'm hoping a few more months will do the trick. Wishing you luck and hoping for some here, too!
*Andrea*

Teresa said...

Good luck, Friend! Potty-training Jared was no picnic. He never seemed to care that he was wet or poopy and cried all the time when I made him sit on the potty. I started at age 2 and just put him on it for a minute before his bath. Then, just around 3, I went for it----the naked method. It worked okay, but it wasn't my favorite. Evie's been a piece of cake (not to brag), but I hear it's easier with subsequent children and easier with girls in general. Just know that it will happen. A friend told me that as long as they're potty-trained by the time they start kindergarten, who cares. Great advice, in my book.

Missy said...

I am not looking forward to it either. I am not thinking about it until summer comes and we are back in Texas. Right now we have too many clothes on here in Nevada. Missy