Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Potty Training Update

So we aren't in full blown potty-training mode but we are working toward it. I've started asking Ryan more often if he'd like to try to go on the potty. He often says yes for two reasons. One, he loves to flush. He rarely gets to flush because I only let him flush if there is something to flush and since he's only actually gone once, the flushing has been minimal. Second, he likes the "potty song." The potty song is something my extremely creative mind came up with spur of the moment one of the first times he was trying to go. I suddenly remembered the hundreds of books and articles I've read saying you should have a song only for the potty (as well as a book, toy, bribes, etc. I mean, they want these kids fully entertained while on the pot. But I guess that is where I get most of my People magazine read....I digress). I had to quickly come up with something and ended up with the following. Try to follow along, I know the words will be a little hard to catch. Feel free to use it as your own potty song. You may need to write it down....

Poo-poo on the potty,
poo-poo on the potty,
poo-poo on the potty,
POO! POO! POO! POO!

Oh, there's a second verse!

Pee-pee on the potty,
pee-pee on the potty,
pee-pee on the potty,
PEE! PEE! PEE! PEE!

I know, I know, I feel a Grammy nomination coming. I mean, seriously, is my mind gone to such Mom-mush that the best I could come up with is a song with some of the first words my son could say? Regardless, he LOVES it. (In my defense, the tune is quite good and the POO! POO! etc. is said with a big head bop and lots of enthusiasm). He dances along on the potty, which actually distracts him from the purpose but is so damn cute. But the funniest thing ever is watching Bryce sing the song. For those of you who know Bryce, this is not a man you picture singing such a song. But he does! It took him awhile to catch on with all the cumbersome words but he finally got it and does quite a good version himself. Nothing makes your heart melt more than watching the love of your life sing POO! POO! POO! POO! to your child. He even has a cute little butt shake with it. Gosh I'm glad he doesn't read the blog....

Anyway, one last note on this oh-so-fascinating subject. I tried to get Ryan to pick out some "big boy underwear" at Target which he seemed to get a huge kick out of for about 4 seconds. He grabbed a package of Thomas the Train undies, stared at it for about 2 seconds and said "I don't like it" and chunked them. My dreams of a grand underwear graduation party were demolished.

So that is all the riveting potty training news. If anyone needs the tune for the potty song, give me a call. I'll be happy to sing it to you. I promise, it's quite catchy!

No comments: